top of page

A Comprehensive Guide to Obtaining an EIN from Outside the U.S.


When you visit a merchant by clicking a link on this site we may make a commission on anything you buy (at no additional cost to you). Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to Amazon Associates and the eBay Partner Network.


Entering the U.S. market can seem daunting for non-U.S. residents, but getting an Employer Identification Number (EIN) is an essential first step. Whether you're expanding your existing business or starting a new one, this comprehensive guide will demystify the process and provide actionable insights.

II. Understanding an EIN

A. Definition and Use of EIN

Let's begin by understanding what an EIN is and why it's crucial for conducting business in the U.S. An EIN is a nine-digit number assigned by the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to identify a business entity for tax purposes. It serves various purposes, from opening bank accounts to hiring employees.

B. Benefits of Having an EIN

The benefits of obtaining an EIN extend beyond merely complying with U.S. regulations. Here are some significant advantages:

  • Ease of Opening a Bank Account: Many U.S. banks require an EIN.

  • Hiring Employees: An EIN is required to pay employees and provide employee benefits.

  • Building Trust: It lends credibility to your business, signaling that you're operating within U.S. legal frameworks.

III. Eligibility and Requirements

A. Who is Eligible to Obtain an EIN?

As an international business owner, eligibility is relatively straightforward. Any business, even without a physical presence in the U.S., can apply. If you are conducting business within U.S. borders, you are eligible.

B. Necessary Information and Documents

You'll need the following:

  • Personal Information: Full name, address, and Tax Identification Number (TIN) if applicable.

  • Business Details: Type of business entity, purpose of application, number of employees, etc.

  • Proof of Identity: A copy of your passport or other government-issued ID.

IV. Step-by-step Guide to Getting an EIN from Outside the U.S.A

A. Applying Online

Applying online is often the quickest route. The IRS has an online application available during specific hours, and once processed, your EIN is issued immediately.

B. Applying via Fax or Mail

If you prefer, you can apply by fax or mail using IRS Form SS-4. This process usually takes four to five weeks. Include all necessary documents and follow the instructions carefully.

C. Applying through a Third-Party Designee

If you find the process challenging, you can appoint a third-party designee like an accountant or attorney. They will have the expertise to handle the application smoothly.

V. Common Mistakes and How to Avoid Them

Mistakes can be frustrating and time-consuming. Here are common pitfalls and how to avoid them:

  • Incorrect Information: Double-check all the details before submitting.

  • Choosing the Wrong Business Entity: Understand the different U.S. business structures.

  • Using a Non-Permitted Third-Party Service: Ensure that the third party you engage is legitimate.

VI. What to do After Getting an EIN

Successfully obtaining your EIN is not the end; there's more to be done:

  • Keep Your EIN Secure: Treat this number as confidential.

  • Understand Your Tax Obligations: Consult with a U.S. tax professional to comprehend your specific tax obligations.

  • Update Your Information: If any of your business details change, you must notify the IRS.

VII. Final Thoughts

In conclusion, obtaining an EIN as a non-U.S. resident is attainable with the right guidance. Equipped with this knowledge, you're primed for a successful business venture in the U.S. However, since each situation may differ, it's advisable to consult a U.S. tax professional. Companies like Incfile can swiftly assist you in acquiring an EIN, handling the paperwork while you focus on business operations. Reach out to them to explore their services. Best of luck!

VIII. Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

  1. Q: Can I apply for an EIN without a Social Security number? A: Yes, you can apply with a foreign Tax Identification Number or without it.

  2. Q: Can I use my personal tax ID instead of an EIN? A: It's possible, but an EIN adds a layer of protection and legitimacy to your business.

  3. Q: How long does it take to get an EIN? A: Online applications provide immediate results, whereas fax or mail takes around four to five weeks.

  4. Q: Can I cancel my EIN if I don't need it anymore? A: You can't cancel an EIN, but you can close your business account with the IRS if needed.

Do you have any questions about how to get an EIN from outside the United States? Leave a comment below and let us know.


bottom of page